A connection to a MetaTexis Server is set up just like the "connection" to any other database engine, via the Document Options. This means you do not set up a connection on program level, but on document level. This gives you full flexibility: While for one document you can use locally-saved databases, for another document you can connect to the MetaTexis server. Once you have defined the TM source for one document, you no longer have to worry about the proper connection. This way, you can work on two different projects with different server settings without any danger of retrieving the data from a wrong source.
To set up a connection from MetaTexis for Word to a MetaTexis Server, you must first ask the server administrator for the server and logon data. And, of course, the Internet or LAN connection must be available.
To set up a connection to a MetaTexis Server, execute the following steps:
1. In the Translation memory (TM) sub-menu, execute the Set server type command. In the dialog displayed, uncheck the Do not show this dialog again option and use current settings when selecting servers. (Note: You have to execute this step only once!)
2. Go to the Document Options, Translation Memories tab, and click the Select button in the Main translation memory frame. The following dialog will be displayed:
3. Select the MetaTexis Server server type and click OK. The following dialog will be displayed:
4. Enter the server and user data provided to you by the server administrator: Server, Port, User ID, and Password. (The Single port access checkbox should only be unchecked if you are connecting to version 1 of the MetaTexis Server and if you are asked to do so by your server administrator.)
5. Click the Get available DB profiles button to retrieve the available database profiles. If the logon data are entered correctly in step 1, and if a database profile is assigned to the user by the server administrator, the assigned database profiles will be displayed.
6. Select a DB profile.
7. To save the settings, click OK.
In the Options frame, the following settings can be made:
· Show connection dialog when connecting to server for single search:
When this option is set, the connection dialog is not only shown for complex server requests, but also for relatively simple ones usually requiring only a short amount of processing time. Activate this option if you always need full information about connections via Interne/LAN.
· Maximum connection time when performing single search:
This setting determines the maximum connection time for simple server requests. If your connection to the Internet/LAN is slow, or if the server is very busy, you might have to set a higher value to make sure that you requests are answered.
· Maximum connection time for complex operations:
This setting determines the maximum connection time for complex server requests or for critical requests (e.g. first contact to server).
The Edit user data command button allows you to edit user data if the corresponding right is assigned to the user by the server administrator. For more details, see next section.